Discover the truth behind walls of New Zealand’s oldest prison.
- Audio tours in 16 languages available throughout the day. (Excellent for students studying German, Japanese, French etc.)
- The only building in Hawkes Bay where you can take a walk down the undulating corridors and see the original path of the devastating 1931 earthquake
- Discover over 150 years of fascinating history within the cold, dark corridors
The historic prison is located on Napier’s Bluff Hill at 55 Coote Rd overlooking the Pacific Ocean and beautiful Centennial Gardens. View the old quarry where the inmates used work their hard days’ labour to build the walls that would keep them imprisoned. Napier Prison is just a few minutes walk to the town centre and Marine Parade.
Self-guided audiotourz are available every day from 9am til 5pm*
Guided tours are available for groups by appointment
*Extended hours occasionally available on cruise ship days
See below for things to do at Napier Prison:
- Scare yourself silly on one of our terrifying night tours
- Take your mugshot and stocks photo
- Meet Basil, the resident ghost cat
- Take a 1 hour guided tour (by appointment only)